Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Engraved"

Walking through the graveyard 'cross the street
Looking at the gravestones by my feet
Some of them with crosses, some without
Wondering which'll break at the trumpets sound

Easy to spot the spots where the rich had died
Their tombstones rise like towers to the sky
Much like the structures built in Babylon
Their efforts to reach heaven dead and gone

So here I sit
Judging graven images by the images engraved
Trying to guess the ones that Jesus saved
And I could spit
On their graves much easier than in their face
Casting stones at the stones where people lay

And I'm wondering if I could take another look
To judge the contents instead of the cover of the book
Our lives are stories bound up by the spine
All the pages and the memories in our mind

So it's a library, not a cemetery I walk
In both places we are cautioned not to talk
For the histories make imprints off the page
Where I'm hoping it's Your image that's engraved

So here I sit
Judging graven images by the images ingrained
Sifting through the icons man has made
And I could spit
At everything that I don't understand
Or do what Jesus already commands

And rest in Him
And in the peace
That He gave
I'll never be the same
I thank the Lord
That His image is engraved

No comments:

Post a Comment